I loves me a good shawarma. So when I saw a huge jar of pickled turnips go on sale at the local Superstore, I knew I had to find a way to use them.
I’m not typically a huge bread eater – so I wanted to find a way to get all the flavours of a shawarma in a salad. And success:
This photo was taken when I put my salad together at work in my huge salad bowl (courtesy of last year’s secret Santa). They say if you plate your lunch, it’ll look way more appetizing and you’ll enjoy it more!
How to make this salad:
- Cook the chicken:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a oven safe dish, slather chicken breasts with garlic, turmeric, salt and pep, and whatever spices you like. Don’t be shy. You can’t really mess it up.
- Cook chicken until done. In my oven it’s between 36-40 mins.
- Grab some greens. Put them in a bowl. Here I used spring mix, but you can use whatever. Add some parsley if you like too.
- Make some hummus, or buy it. Whatever. (I’ll post my hummus recipe soon). Put some hummus on the bowl.
- Put some pickled turnips in there.
- For dressing, it’s easy. Olive oil and lemon (note the fresh lemon in the photo). It tastes so bright and yummy, and squeezing fresh lemon on a salad is very satisfying.
Note that I didn’t put any measurements on there. Just eyeball it! Get creative. I’ll have a post on serving size (my goodness writing this is giving me ideas for posts!) soon so you can get an idea of what’s what and what portions work for you.