Hey peeps! If you’re feeling low on energy, you may have an issue with not getting enough b vitamins in your diet. Fatigue is such a hard thing to fix sometimes, but a good place to start is by getting a lot of green veggies into your diet and getting your B12 levels checked by your doctor.
This salad is one that is great for fall. It has a thanksgiving-y feel and most of all should make you feel full of energy!
This recipe features a handful of walnuts. Did you know that walnuts are helpful in treating depression and anxiety?
Also, this recipe features nutritional yeast (lovingly known on the internet as “nooch”). Bob’s Red Mill is a great brand and it packs more than 300% of your daily need for B12. Beware though, if you suspect that you may have a yeast overgrowth in your gut, steer clear of the “nooch”. If not, then full steam ahead!
This salad is completely vegan. I threw in some vegetarian and omnivore salad topping options in there as well for getting in even more B vitamins!
Jackie’s feel good kale salad
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast (look for one fortified with B12)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, or 1 clove of fresh garlic minced (if you’re feeling sick, add in another clove!)
- 1 tbsp Vegenaise aka Vegan mayo (optional, but this makes it creamy)
How to: Put all of these ingredients in a bowl and mix! For a smoother texture, blend in a blender.
- 1 bunch of kale (this is full of vitamin A, C and has some B6)
- 1 or 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 or 2 tbsp dried cranberries or raisins
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 or 2 tbsp hemp hearts (this will give you extra protein and good fats!)
- Vegan option: Add some grilled tempeh on top (tempeh is fermented and has some B12 in it)
- Vegetarian option: Add some hard boiled eggs for more B12
- Omnivore option: Add some chicken or shrimp
How to: put all of this in a bowl. Mix with dressing.
Kale is nice and hearty so this salad will keep for 2 days (and on the third day, eat it quick!)